I am writing to provide an update about LEAF's efforts regarding the Covid-19 virus. We are working in active partnership with local governmental and human services agencies and will implement guidelines and instructions as they are made available to us. Here is what I can share today:
1. Lyons Community Food Pantry will continue to operate as usual unless directed otherwise. At Food Pantry yesterday, volunteers took extra care to disinfect all surfaces and to remove items that increase the risk of infection. Everyone was instructed to use hand sanitizer upon entering the Pantry area. Clients experiencing cold or flu symptoms were asked to remain outside and food was passed out to them.
2. Meals on Wheels clients will continue to receive meals. We will also provide "5 shelf-stable meals + snacks" kits to all clients for use in the event of illness and quarantine, or if our meal supply from Longmont Meals on Wheels is temporarily disrupted. These meal kits cost $10. Can you help sponsor these meals?
3. If our volunteers develop flu or cold symptoms, they will step out of service until their health is restored.
4. If a Meals on Wheels or Food Pantry client becomes ill or chooses to self-quarantine, please email us to arrange delivery of food to avoid potential transmission of illness.
5. If you or someone you know becomes ill or self-quarantines due to health vulnerability, LEAF can provide Meals on Wheels and/or Food Pantry supplies. Please send email to arrange these services.
6. We are actively accessing back-up food supplies in the event of temporary disruption or increased need, thanks to partnership with Boulder County and other local agencies.
If you can help during this time, here are the items we currently require:
- canned meals (chili, stew, soups, ravioli, etc.)
- kid snacks (fruit or applesauce cups, individually packaged snacks)
- powdered milk
- disinfectant wipes
- dental hygiene items
These items can be delivered any time to the "LEAF Box" in the entry area of Lyons Community Library, or to LEAF in the lower level of Lyons Community Church on Wednesdays between 9:30am and 3:00pm.
Please donate via our website to sponsor the "5 shelf-stable meals + snacks" kits we will provide to all Meals on Wheels clients and others who are ill or vulnerable and quarantined at home.
LEAF intends to maintain "business as usual," with contingencies in place. We are partnering closely with local government and helping agencies. The health and well-being of our clients, volunteers, and community are our top priorities. Our wonderful and special community deserves nothing less. It is our honor to serve in the community.
LEAF Executive Director